Monday, December 12, 2011

need a little faith

If we are faithless, he remains faithful-for he cannot deny himself. ~2 Timothy 2:13

Faithless would be a suitable word to describe my overall state in recent weeks. I read, but doubt what I am reading holds true in all areas of my life. I pray without expecting anything to happen. I worship, but hold back over what I feel I'm missing. I serve, while selfishly hoping it will better my circumstances. The level of my faith in my heavenly Father rests upon how "blessed" I feel at any given moment. Simply put, my faith has been nothing more than a show for God, myself, and others.

But thankfully by God's amazing grace, He remains faithful! On Sunday, I was reminded that God's grace was extended to me, a hopeless sinner. Now I am resting on the opposite side of the pendulum. I hold, through Christ, the only lasting and fulfilling hope man can ever know. Regardless of how my circumstances may appear, I have a hope unparalleled. And nothing can take this hope from me because it does not rest upon me, but on my heavenly Father who gifts it to me. We sang quite possibly my favorite hymn, It Is Well, at the closing of our worship service yesterday morning. Whereas I usually struggle singing hymns targeted at my current wrestling, the Spirit moved  me to sing the song as a desperate plea for God to make those words the very cry of my soul. I wasn't singing because I believed the words are true, but because I desperately needed the faith to believe.

Today I received another taste of God being faithful in the midst of lacking faith. An unexpected gift was given to me this afternoon through the mail. Mail typically doesn't move me, but this particular item brought tears as I read the contents. The tears were both grief- and joy-filled. I grieved over my continual lack of faith in my Creator and Father being able to meet all of my needs. I rejoiced over the wonderful taste of His faithfulness through the people He has placed around me.

God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. ~1 Corinthians 1:9

No comments:

Post a Comment