Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Preaching Christ

Faith is not a "feeling of dependence" that focuses upon a personal "Jesus." The Scriptures, Jesus said, "are they which testify of me" (John 5:39), and they are the touchstone by which all expressions of faith are to be examined. The Jesus of the Scriptures is true God and true man, two natures in one Person. He is the Son of God equal in power and glory to the Father and the Holy Spirit. He was in a state of humiliation, but now is in a state of glory. He may be found at the right hand of God where He continues to exercise the three offices of Prophet, Priest, and King. That is the only Jesus Christ there is or ever will be, and He is the only Savior. There can be no power in preaching that fails to proclaim this Christ and exhorts men to put their trust in Him. 
~Geoffrey Thomas, Powerful Preaching (emphasis original) cited in The Preacher and Preaching

Who am I to preach this Christ?

Who am I to keep silent about this Christ? 

I pray this Christ is the object of my faith and the One who stirs my deepest affections and utmost adoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment