Tuesday, October 16, 2012

long days

The week is not even three days old, and it already has been long. It is safe to say my holdout against drinking coffee in the morning might break for at least the next couple of days.

On Saturday night I stayed in after a long day of coaching. I pulled out my old friend, mr. guitar, for my means of rest and relaxation. And I went to the RUF online hymnal to hit up some of the classics.

I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say was the song I lingered on the longest. I was unable to simply strike up playing through it. I needed to hear it, digest it, and then finally sing through it. It spoke directly to my week prior as well as the coming weeks looming on the horizon.

I heard the voice of Jesus say,
"Come unto me and rest;
Lay down, O weary one lay down,
Your head upon My breast."
I came to Jesus as I was,
So weary, worn, and sad;
I found in Him my resting place,
And He has made me glad.

I heard the voice of Jesus say,
"Behold I freely give
The living water; thirsty one,
Stoop down and drink, and live."
I came to Jesus, and I drank
From that life-giving stream
My thirst was quenched, my soul revived,
And now I live in Him.

I heard the voice of Jesus say,
"I am this dark world's light;
Look unto Me, thy morn shall rise,
And all thy days be bright."
I looked to Jesus and I found
In Him my star, my sun;
And in that light of life I'll walk
'Til pilgrim days are done.

And then last night, I read Matthew 11:28-30.

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.

Safe to say on both nights rest and sleep found me.

No comments:

Post a Comment