Thursday, November 1, 2012

restless

You are great, Lord, and highly to be praised: great is your power and your wisdom is immeasurable. Man, a little piece of your creation, desires to praise you, a human being 'bearing his mortality with him,' carrying with him the witness of his sin and the witness that you 'resist the proud.' Nevertheless, to praise you is the desire of man, a little piece of your creation. You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you. 
~St. Augustine, Confessions, pp.3

The more I read the "old guys" the more I wish I could write like them.

But since I cannot, I will simply soak in what they have to offer.

I have tasted the pleasure found in praising God. I have experienced God stirring the affections of my heart. I have relished in my standing before Him as creature. I have known rest.

And yet more often than not my heart is restless. It seeks something to praise. It longs for something pleasurable. It looks for meaning.

In those moments I fail to remember why I have been made. I fail to remember where the restlessness of my heart is pointing.

It all points back to my position as creator and God as Creator. It all points back to my being created for the purpose of praising Him. It all points back to finding rest only in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment