Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Holy Wednesday

(Jesus' High Priestly Prayer from John 17)

The Mediator

Everlasting Creator-Father,
I have destroyed myself, my nature is defiled, the powers of my soul are degraded; I am vile, miserable, strengthless, but my hope is in thee.
If ever I am saved it will be by goodness undeserved and astonishing, not by mercy alone but by abundant mercy, not by grace but by exceeding riches of grace;
And such thou hast revealed, promised, exemplified in thoughts of peace, not evil.
Thou hast devised means to rescue me from sin's perdition, to restore me to happiness, honour, safety.
I bless thee for the everlasting covenant, for the appointment of a Mediator.
I rejoice that he failed not, nor was discouraged, but accomplished the work thou gavest him to do; and said on the cross, 'It is finished.'
I exult in the thought that thy justice is satisfied, thy truth established, thy law magnified, and a foundation is laid for my hope.
I look to a present and personal interest in Christ and say, Surely he has borne my griefs, carried my sorrows, won my peace, healed my soul.
Justified by his blood I am saved by his life,
Glorifying in his cross I bow to his sceptre,
Having his Spirit I possess his mind.
Lord, grant that my religion may not be occasional and partial, but universal, influential, effective, and may I always continue in thy words as well as thy works, so that I may reach my end in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment