Sunday, May 22, 2011

no more favortism

Dear Lydia,

As of today I can no longer call you my favorite niece. Your momma gave birth to your baby sister, Heidi Eva, earlier today which now gives me two nieces. I am going to have to work on my phraseology. Now I will still be able to work around this by awarding you "my favorite 18-month old" or "the cutest animal mimicker" or "the most adorable big sister" (sorry Danielle). Either way you are still a very special young lady.

Personally, I think you are going to be an excellent big sister. You already show yourself to be a great big help to your momma. I have witnessed you packing lunches, sweeping floors, folding laundry, and tackling many other jobs. Your parents will love all the help you can give them. You are also very entertaining. Heidi will quickly learn all the sounds from the animal kingdom because of your expertise. Your entertaining qualities will also be a blessing to your momma on days when she simply needs a laugh or after your daddy's had a long day at the office.

But most importantly, you get the wonderful blessing of loving and caring for your younger sister. I have the wonderful privilege of being both a younger and older sibling. They are both wonderful. Being older than me, your momma (and daddy later on) taught me many things I still remember today. And I had the blessing of sharing them with your Aunt Rachel. But I can say I have still learned many things from Aunt Rachel just as your momma might admit to learning things from me. So as you take on the blessing of being an older sister share your joy, wisdom, and love with Heidi. Read her stories from your Bible to help her love Jesus too as daddy and momma have done with you. And don't forget to let her teach you all the while.

Give daddy, momma, and Heidi a congratulations hug from me.

Love,

Uncle Derek

P.S. If you ever think it's a good idea to cut off the scarf from Heidi's favorite teddy bear ask your momma first. She has some valuable experience in that department.

2 comments: