Wednesday, May 4, 2011

suppressing the truth

It seems as though I am in the midst of a sin kick. By kick I am not referring to an increased desire for sin (by God's grace), but a greater awareness and Spirit-induced exposing of indwelling sin. It also helps when Romans is the particular book I am in the midst of studying. It's hard to read it without coming away with a deeper sense of just how sinful I am.

And yet telling me the extent of my sin is not the end. I am clearly told what my sin is, and it's embarrassing to say the least. Romans 1:18 says, "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth."

Obviously, my sin warrant God's wrath. There is no denying this when you read through the pages of Scripture. Recently I have read multiple "biblical scholars" try to remove God's wrath and eternal punishment with an argument overflowing with spiritual arrogance. They claim sin in this life cannot be counted against us for all of eternity. For them life is too short for our mistakes to damn us away from God's presence forever. And at times, my life mimics these outrageous claims. Thankfully, Romans 1:18 stands in direct opposition to them. Our sin in this life more than warrants our forever separation from God and bearing His holy and just wrath.

And why is this so? According to Paul it's because my sin is a blatant attempt to suppress the truth. I take what creation, my conscience, and God's Word reveal about Him and tell the world it isn't true. It's my act of rebellion where I declare God a liar. And just what truths does my sin suppress? Technically all of them, but I'll just name a few for the sake of time and space.
  • God is wrathful (v.18)
  • God is holy (v.18)
  • God is righteous (v.18)
  • God is knowable (v.19)
  • God is a God of revelation (v.19)
  • God is powerful (v.20)
  • God is God, the One and only (v.20)
  • God is Creator (v.20)
  • God is honorable (v.21)
  • God is worthy of thanks (v.21)
  • God is immortal (v.23)
  • God is glorious (v.23)
  • God is truth (v.24)
  • God is to be worshiped (v.25)
  • God is to be served (v.25)
  • God is blessed (v.25)
Am I comfortable responding with a loud "liar!" (which is what my sin is) to these truths? Do I have the fortitude to tell God He is overreacting to my sin? Do I really think "I only suppressed the truth during my short stay on earth" will hold sway when I stand before God, if I am even able to stand? Why is it when people such as Isaiah and Peter fell down at the feet of Jesus when they saw their sin compared to His glory?

These are the questions God's Spirit has been stirring up in my heart. He wants me to grasp the full severity of my sin, in both the physical and spiritual realms. I am not merely slipping up or making mistakes. I am actively suppressing the truths of God. There is no escaping it. This is the reason why He tells us to respond to sin by turning from it and back to God (repentance).

And here is where while the kick is more than uncomfortable at times, it helps unearth just how amazing God's grace truly is. Despite the blasphemous claims my sin makes, God still openly extends His forgiveness to me. He doesn't toss me aside, but remains close through Christ. He shows me a fuller extent of the truth behind who He is.

No comments:

Post a Comment