Thursday, January 26, 2012

what is He doing?

Then Joseph said to Pharaoh, “The dreams of Pharaoh are one; God has revealed to Pharaoh what he is about to do... It is as I told Pharaoh; God has shown to Pharaoh what he is about to do. ~Genesis 41:25, 28

I find it interesting that Joseph was the one who spoke these words to Pharaoh. And it isn't because he was a young Hebrew fresh out of prison on a falsified rape charge. I even wonder if Joseph struggled or wrestled inwardly as the words flowed out of his mouth. Obviously, the Bible doesn't speak to this, and I do not have the liberty to insert whatever I feel like inserting. But it doesn't mean I can't glean insights from the circumstances facing Joseph.

Throughout his story, Joseph had no clue what God was doing. He saw himself favored by his father, hated by his brothers, sold into slavery, put in charge of an Egyptian household, falsely accused of rape, thrown, governing, and forgotten in prison, and standing before the throne of Pharaoh. And on that occasion, Joseph was used to reveal God's exact plan for Pharaoh and his country.

Again, if I were Joseph, this would have floored me. I, a God-fearing Hebrew, endured hell on earth with only a dream when I was younger providing any sort of glimpse into my future. But Pharaoh, an idol worshiping, self-deified ruler, gets God's fourteen-year blueprint. What's worse is that this blueprint leads to the further prosperity of a nation bent on rebellion against God. Huh?

But in this we catch a glimpse into the character of God. He does know all things. He was not absent during Joseph's nightmare of an early life. In fact, the phrase the Lord was with Joseph is frequently noted through this narrative showing God's hand actively working. But God never decided to clue Joseph in on exactly what He was doing. Instead, Joseph had to trust in God and rely upon Him.

This trust was no different than what God called Pharaoh to do. Pharaoh could have scoffed at Joseph's interpretation and went about his business as ruler over Egypt. Instead, he trusted in the Word of God and relied upon the wisdom of God given through Joseph. He listened and obeyed the clear directions given him. Joseph listened and obeyed despite not having any clear directions to follow. We are called to do the same.

And the entire story of Joseph points to Christ who listened and perfectly obeyed the will of God with the end always in mind. He faced a similar, yet greater, hell (favored by His Father, hated by His brothers, falsely accused, rejected), and this eventually led to His crucifixion at the hands of His enemies. But through it all, Jesus entrusted Himself to God as Judge (1 Peter 3) and remained obedient regardless of what it meant for Him.

And this means salvation for all who trust in Him!

1 comment:

  1. I needed to hear that. Sometimes God makes his plan clear, but more often than not I don't know what he is doing in my life. But I just have to trust that he is working. I've been thinking a lot of Isaiah 50:10-11: " Who among you fears the LORD and obeys the voice of his servant? Let him who walks in darkness and has no light trust in the name of the LORD and rely on his God. Behold, all you who kindle a fire, who equip yourselves with burning torches! Walk by the light of your fire, and by the torches that you have kindled! This you have from my hand: you shall lie down in torment." That when I feel like I'm walking in the darkness of confusion, I still just need to trust God and obey instead of trying to light my own path and go my own way. It comes down to how much do I really trust God to work out the best plan for me. Often not as much as I should... Anyway, thanks for speaking truth.

    ReplyDelete