Friday, February 24, 2012

satisfy

For a variety of reasons I'm not the biggest fan of contemporary Christian music. Often times, I would rather listen to a hymn. However, there are certain bands/individuals who I will listen to from time to time. One of them is Tenth Avenue North. Their album, Over and Underneath, is one of my personal favorites of any musical genre. I just like what the songs say and how they say it.

One song in particular has been running through my head and/or speakers over the past week. It is entitled Satisfy.

Before the sun has touched the sky
Colors bursting from Your eyes
Before the flood of the morning light

Before the earth has felt Your heat
Before I stand up to my feet
Before I begin to feel this weak

(Chorus) Satisfy me, Lord
Satisfy me, Lord
I'm begging You to help me see
You're all I want , You're what I need
Satisfy me, Lord

And when the day is closing in like the stars in the night
I am falling into the pull of the earth and its affections

In me, O Lord, can You create a pure heart?
Because I'm afraid that I just might run back
To the things I hate

(Chorus)

You're beautiful
You're beautiful
You're more than all this world can give
You're beautiful
You're beautiful
Your love is all I need to live

(Chorus

Why this song? First, I rarely find myself satisfied. I am always hungering and thirsting. And sadly, the things I am hungering and thirsting for are not Christ. I know He alone satisfies, but I would rather fill myself with empty things. I lack a trust in His all-sufficient grace.

Second, I like how a lack of satisfaction leads to a plea for more of God's grace. It doesn't put emphasis on trying harder to fix myself. Finding satisfaction in God comes through His Spirit showing me just how desperate I am. As He works upon my heart, the rest of me will see all the satisfaction I need is already mine through Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment