Wednesday, April 18, 2012

explicit

This evening I had the wonderful privilege of partaking in The Resurgence's Explicit Gospel Tour in Philadelphia. It was an evening of worship with Shane and Shane and teaching by Matt Chandler. The purpose of the event is to promote Chandler's new book The Explicit Gospel, which I fully plan on reading once the semester ends and my schedule opens up.

One of the unexpected pleasantries of the night was the wonderful make-up of the audience. It was a blessing to worship with brothers and sisters from all different races and backgrounds. The beautiful blending of differences came through in song and hearing the Word preached. It was a small glimpse into eternity.

But the purpose of the night was in the title. The gospel was made explicit as Chandler preached from Colossians 1:13-21. It's a beautiful text laying out the particulars of the gospel of Jesus Christ. It's nothing new, but still amazing. And it was exactly what my weary, doubt-filled, and weak soul needed. I left feeling challenged, rebuked, and encouraged all at the same time. And it was all because of the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son

The domain darkness includes the lie that redemption and satisfaction is found within myself and the things of this world. Instead of clawing my way through failed attempts at redemption, God has freed me from this pursuit through the redemption found in Christ. I am free from trying to save myself because Christ has done it for me.

and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.

Not only had Christ redeemed me, but all things through His death and resurrection. Everything that is wrong in this broken and corrupt world will one day be made new, forever free from the curse of sin and death.

And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him

In addition to being redeemed, I am declared righteous before God. Prior to my salvation I was hostile towards God and corrupt. And yet He saved me. What is more He gave me Christ's righteousness and called me blameless when I was far from it. Even now their are times when I wrestle with thoughts, words, and actions that are evil and hostile toward God. And when I fail by giving into them, God still sees me as righteous because of Christ. What is impossible and contradictory within myself is freely imputed upon me because of God's amazing grace through Christ.

I need this reminder every day. I should be bringing myself back to this reality. But thankfully God continues to draw me to Himself through evenings like tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment