Friday, April 6, 2012

forsaken

My God, my God, why have your forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning?


All who see me mock me; they make mouths at me; they wag their heads; 'He trusts in the LORD; let him deliver him; let him rescue him, for he delights in him!'


For dogs encompass me; a company of evildoers encircles me; they have pierced my hands and feet-I can count all my bones-they stare and gloat over me; they divide my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots.


~Psalm 22:1, 7-8, 16-18

And when they had crucified him, they divided his garments among them by casting lots. Then they say down and kept watch over him there.


So also the chief priests, with the scribes and elders, mocked him saying, 'He saved others; he cannot save himself. He is the King of Israel; let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him. He trusts in God; let God deliver him now, if he desires him.'


And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice saying, 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?'


And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice and yielded up his spirit.


~Matthew 27: 35-36, 41-42, 46, 50

The cry of Jesus, prophesied by David in Psalm 22, resounds through all of history. Christ was cursed by God on our behalf. He took on the full weight of being forsaken, so that we never would.

Hallelujah, what a Savior!

No comments:

Post a Comment