Thursday, June 14, 2012

do justice

In general, to "do justice" means to live in a way that generates a strong community where human beings can flourish. Specifically, however, to "do justice" means to go to places where the fabric of shalom has broken down, where the weaker members of societies are falling through the fabric, and to repair it...The only way to reweave and strengthen the fabric is by weaving yourself into it. ~Tim Keller, Generous Justice


I've confessed many times over my lack of knowledge in the world of politics, finances, and the economy. The latter I simply do not have much background in, while the former I honestly cannot stand. But I can get my hands around the ideas of the above quote, particularly weaving myself into the broken fabrics of society.

Human tendency is to do the exact opposite. We see the things that are broken, view them as beyond repair, and avoid them at all costs. I am as guilty of this as anyone. But engaging in the biblical call to "do justice" means acting against human nature. It means investing (time, money, energy, self, etc.) into those places where justice is withheld. It involves entering into those places where brokenness abounds, whether the brokenness is brought upon by individual foolishness or ongoing injustice.

(I've discussed with many about only needing to help those who consistently put forth the effort and desire to help themselves. While getting people to take responsibility for their actions and to work for their betterment is right and biblical, doesn't the gospel show us how God helped those who were exactly the opposite? What if Christ only came for those who were helping themselves in their spiritual bankruptcy? What if He only brought those who were actively seeking the Father to the Father? We would all still be in our state of sin and objects of God's wrath.)

I do not live in a city. I am close to one, and I should find ways to combat against the abundance of injustices (poor, marginalized, sick, weak, etc.) running through it. However, there are also plenty of examples of the broken-down fabrics in my small-town community. Am I weaving myself into it or trying to remain unstained by it? Am I willing to turn my head to the gross injustices in my community or ready to follow Christ?

For Christ was the ultimate instance of God's identification with the poor. He not only became one of the actually poor and marginalized, he stood in the place of all those of us in spiritual poverty and bankruptcy (Matthew 5:3) and paid our debt.


And this is where justice finds its root and foundation. Not in some lofty, philosophical ideal, but in the God who Himself is just and righteous. We actively pursue justice and war against injustice because we serve a God who is just and in the person of Jesus Christ faced every injustice imaginable for our sake.


No comments:

Post a Comment