Monday, December 24, 2012

Gollum

I just returned home from viewing The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (hence writing at 2:30 AM). I am not providing a review, but I will say I enjoyed the film while remaining cautious about the two films still to come.

But one scene in particular caught my attention. It was during Bilbo's escape from Gollum's cave. While wearing the ring (aka Gollum's "precious") Bilbo wrestles over whether or not to end the life of the pitiful creature. It would have been easy and altogether warranted consider the debased nature of Gollum. On at least two occasions, Bilbo draws his sword to deliver the final blow. And yet, each time he holds back.

After the last attempt, the camera follows a single tear running down the cheek of Gollum. That tear is, to borrow Gandalf's words, "what stayed Bilbo's hand." It made him pity Gollum.

Gollum is an ironic character. He weeps upon losing the very thing which destroyed him. The ring led him to murder his friend. The ring drove him away from people and into the heart of the mountain. The ring corrupted his mind and heart. The ring drove him mad. If anything he should have been rejoicing because the ring could no longer control him.

Instead, Gollum wept demonstrating just how pitiful a creature he had become.

And it was here where I caught a glimpse of myself.

Like Gollum, I am a pitiful creature. I hold a death grip upon the very thing which seeks to destroy me: sin. Sin turns me away from my Father. Sin grieves the Holy Spirit. Sin mocks the work of my Savior. Sin destroys relationships. Sin isolates me from others. Sin corrupts my heart and mind. I should rejoice because Christ has canceled the power of sin over me.

Instead, I weep. I fail to see how I might gain from losing. I would rather hold onto to what will destroy me.

It reminds me of Jesus' words in John 3:19 which also speak to the reality of Christmas,

And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil.

That's my struggle each and every day. As a man naturally inclined to love the darkness, I desperately want to love the light which has come.

As the Light of light descendeth
From the realms of endless day,
That the powers of hell may vanish
As the darkness clears away.

No comments:

Post a Comment