Monday, December 17, 2012

Newtown

He comes to make His blessings flow
Far as the curse is found

The curse was found on Friday morning at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut. The aftermath weighs heavy three days later, and will continue for the many families, colleagues, and friends over countless years.

I cannot begin to fathom what the people of Newtown, CT are wrestling through. They have tasted a grief and sorrow I have not experienced. And I pray I never will.

Unlike tragedies in previous years, this one has lingered for me. Friday was difficult. I wrestled in prayer all through my work day. I cried when I got home. Then I tried my best to coach swimming. (And in His grace, God made that time with those kids a much-needed blessing)

Sunday was the same. Singing was nearly impossible. The tears continued. Prayer felt more like a wrestling match (And again God's grace flowed through His word and His people). Even this morning brought grief as I drove past school buses and/or students waiting at their bus stops. Everything kept pointing to Newtown and the immense pain of that community.

I grieve as a member of a family. I grieve as a member of a small community. I grieve a future minister seeking to help people grow in the Gospel. But it's my former life, which has added to my sense of grief. Despite only lasting two years, I cannot escape the grief I feel as a teacher.

I grieve for the teachers who felt helpless to protect the little ones placed under their care. I grieve for them losing close friends they worked alongside for years. I grieve as they attempt to teach in front of hurting students while they themselves are hurting. I grieve thinking about what they saw and trying to comfort their students in ways they never expected.

I grieve for the students who lost siblings and friends in a place where their safety should never be in doubt. I grieve as they will no longer see some of the same smiling faces welcoming them every morning. I grieve as kids as young as five or six try to sleep at night after watching the horror unfold before their eyes. I grieve as they go back into the school which has lost its feeling of comfort.

But through all of this, that simple line from Joy to the World has come back to me again and again,

He comes to make His blessings flow
Far as the curse is found.

Christ came to undue the awful curse of sin. He did it through His life, death, and resurrection. Even in this curse-filled world we taste those blessings now. And we will receive them in full upon His 2nd Advent. At that moment, all His blessings will flow as far as the curse is found. Revelation 21:1-4 gives us the beautiful picture. He will remove all remnants of the curse. He will heal all wounds. God Himself will wipe away every tear.

This is the hope for all those who grieve. In Christ, all grief will not be in vain. It will lead to greater glory according to Romans 8:18. It will certainly hurt. It will hurt like hell as I am sure all those in Newtown know far too well. But even in the face of this grief and mourning, Christ is at work making His blessings flow as far as the curse is found.

No comments:

Post a Comment