Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Godless

I read an articleWhy I Raise My Children Without God, when I got home from work today.

The author/mother gave seven reasons why she keeps God out of her parenting techniques. She says, 1) God is bad parent and role model 2) God is not logical 3) God is not fair 4) God does not protect the innocent 5) God is not present 6) God does not teach children to be good 7) God teaches narcissism.

She explains herself in the article and even concludes by saying how she does not want to eradicate religion, only keep it in the private spheres of society.

I am not angry by this mother's beliefs about parenting and faith. Yes, her arguments stand in stark contrast to the Christian faith. Yes, her arguments are hostile toward God. Yes, her statements of what she believes to be facts are untrue. But my anger will not help this situation at all.

Instead, I am sad. I am sad for this mother. I am sad for her children.

More and more parents are following in this mother's footsteps. They are raising their children apart from any and all religious influences. They want to raise "objective" children, and think removing faith is the best way to do so. They fear what happens when individuals are raised in the world of faith.

This makes me sad for our culture.

This makes genuine evangelism all the more pressing. Our culture needs to know that God is our great Father. He is logical and fair. His defense of the innocent is ingrained in His character. He not only teaches us to be good, but makes us holy. His plans are for His glory, which means our good.

We need to be heartbroken over our culture. And this heartbreak should motivate us to share the truth of exactly who God is and what He has done, most notably through Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment