Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Lent or something like it

When the days drew near for him to be taken up, he set his face to go to Jerusalem. ~Luke 9:51

The season of Lent starts tomorrow. Personally, I am not a buyer of the Lenten formality and hoopla. I think the idea is noble, but the focus is too often fixed on the things being given up. When people talk about Lent they usually hover around sweets, soda, alcohol, television, and whatever else they feel compelled to avoid. It's like a shortened version of New Year's resolutions.

I have done my fair share of giving up in the past. And while my diet and/or health may have benefited, my soul felt no different. The time I spent not eating certain foods or engaging in certain activities was not replaced with nourishment for my soul. It was simply replaced with something new to distract me.

One day I may get back into the Lenten traditions, but for this year I am going to try Luke 9:51. Over the next 6 weeks, I want to set my face towards Jerusalem.

Obviously this is not literal speech. I am so bad with direction that I would not even know which way to face.

Instead I want to set my face towards what Jesus did in Jerusalem almost 2,000 years ago.

Luke 9:51 signaled the beginning of Jesus' death march toward Jerusalem. It signaled the coming climax to all of redemption history. Jesus continued to teach, heal, and minister along the way, but His gaze was fixed on the cross awaiting Him. It shaped everything He did from that point forward.

I want my gaze fixed on that same cross. In the midst of my everyday task and responsibilities, I want the cross standing before me. I want it to shape everything I do.

For on that cross, my old self was crucified with Christ. On the cross, Christ took my sin, guilt, and shame upon Himself. On the cross, Christ drank the full cup of God's wrath rightfully meant for me. On the cross, Christ reconciled me to the Father.

And in the empty tomb my new self was raised with Christ whose victory over death is now mine.

That is where I want my face fixed. And not only over the next six weeks, but as long as my breath remains within me.

No comments:

Post a Comment