Tuesday, June 18, 2013

to the source

Psalm 19 is a familiar chapter of the Bible.

And yet I forget it all too easily.

Recently, I have desired greater intimacy with my God. It is a God-honoring desire given by His Spirit. However, I have wanted it apart from any work on my part. I was hoping it would fall down from the sky at my beckoning.

It is with such an attitude/approach that my forgetfulness has been revealed.

The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul;
the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple;
the precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart;
the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes;
the fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever;
the rules of the Lord are true, and righteous altogether.

In these three verses, the psalmist makes it abundantly clear where intimacy and the joy accompanying it are found. It is not through magic. It is not through passivity. It is not through will power.

It comes through the Word of God being read, studied, and meditated upon. It is through a deeper love for and understanding of God's Word that deeper intimacy with Him is found.

If I want the intimacy, which God graciously pours out I need to seek it at its source. I need to go to the well. I need to be revived by the Word and watch my heart begin rejoicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment