Sunday, July 21, 2013

faithful to the end

Last night I started writing a post that was not coming together well. It was about my love for control, which often leads to realism pessimism when I cannot get a hold on it. I have found myself in that cycle for a good portion of the summer. I have a number of things I either need or want to do, but I cannot control the means by which they will get done. Naturally, my attitude has been far too pessimistic to the point where others are noticing and calling me out on it.

Then this morning we sang a song that really has nothing to do with control, but the first verse slapped me in the face anyways.

Precious cornerstone,
Sure foundation,
You are faithful to the end.
We are waiting on You, Jesus.
We believe You're all to us.

I do not need to be in control. Things do not need to be perfectly fitting together all the time. My foundation is secure. It is Christ.

In the twenty seven years I have been breathing, my Savior has been faithful to me. Every need has been met. Every time of struggle has been accompanied by grace and strength. Never have I been forsaken or left to fend for myself. O, you of little faith, why should I think this time will be any different? 

My job is to wait and trust. And sadly, I am about as good as that as I was when I was four. I want everything to work out right now so I can feel secure and in control. I forget that God is doing something far bigger than me. He is working His desires through me. He is making Himself known. He is bringing glory to His name.

For as I read just last week in Psalm 46:10,

Be still, and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment