Thursday, July 25, 2013

sit down you're shaking the boat

He said to them, "Where is your faith?"

This comes from Luke 8:25. It is Jesus' response to the disciples after he calms the storm before their eyes. They felt death closing in around them. They panicked the raging waters. They felt hopeless. They forgot who was in the boat with them, and what they had already witnessed Him do in the short time He was with them.

  • the disciples (fisherman at the time) took in a miraculous catch at His command (5:1-11)
  • a leper was cured of His disease through physical contact with Jesus (5:12-15)
  • a paralytic walked away from an encounter with Jesus and received forgiveness of his sins (5:17-26)
  • a tax collector left his wealth and riches to follow Jesus (5:27-31)
  • the Pharisees are repeatedly foiled by the teachings of Jesus (5:20-24; 30-32; 33-39; 6:1-5; 11; 7:39-50)
  • a man with a crippled hand finds it restored at Jesus' word (6:6-11)
  • people came to hear, be healed, find freedom from evil spirits, and simply touch Him (6:17-19)
  • a centurion's servant was healed by Jesus' command without Jesus being present (7:1-10)
  • a widow's son came back to life during his funeral procession at Jesus' word (7:11-17)
  • John was the Baptist was told Jesus is one the prophets spoke of (7:18-35)
  • a morally and physically disgusting woman received forgiveness and salvation (7:36-50)
Not that Jesus needed a resume, but these events warranted the disciples' faith. And yet, it was missing.

Of course it is easy to jump on the disciples for their foolishness. We can say we would have responded differently if we were in their shoes. The reality is we are no better.

I flounder in the face of the high winds and raging waters. I panic. I feel hopeless. I forget who is with me. I doubt even what I know to be true.

In recent weeks, I have been asking myself "where is your faith?" I have the same "resume" as well as the full canon of Scripture and my own tastings of Christ's power to warrant complete faith in Him. There is nothing He is incapable of doing.

He can do for me what He did for the disciples in that boat. And he awoke and rebuked the wind and the raging waves, and they ceased, and there was a calm.

No comments:

Post a Comment