Monday, March 3, 2014

serving size

"The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "therefore I will hope in him." ~Lamentations 3:24

When applied to food, a portion is defined as that which is "enough." A portion provides the necessary nutrients as well as sustenance for the individual. A portion is enough to meet the present need.

The same goes in the mind of the author of Lamentations. The Lord is his hope. The Lord satisfies. The Lord sustains. The Lord is enough.

I agree wholeheartedly with the inspired author of this text. However, I wrestle with the real-life application.

There are so many things within and outside of myself promising satisfaction. They tell me I will have "enough" should I simply get my hands on this or that. Many of them are even good things, gifts from the hand of God. But they are not and never will be enough.

Thus far in my semester, a great deal of emphasis in two of my classes has been on the believer's union in Christ. On the one hand this concept is complex, but it is also simplistic. In Christ I find everything I need.

Living out my union with Christ is what "the Lord is my portion" looks like. It means living as an adopted son of God. It means walking in freedom from the reign of sin over me. It means resting in the hope of what is to come. It means living a life of holiness through the Spirit within me. It means of all these and more.

The Lord is my portion. And the more I rest and walk in my union in Christ, I will find him to be more than enough for all my needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment