Thursday, December 4, 2014

the favored one

About a month ago, my wife and I visited the Philadelphia Art Museum for a "day date" (which ended with a delicious Indian buffet!). Despite living relatively close, I had never trekked to the Art Museum, not even to run up the steps like Rocky!

I must say I was impressed by the different exhibits. There were definitely some weird pieces (namely everything in the modern period), but I thoroughly enjoyed much of what I saw. While Bethany took one million photos (give or take), I only shot the two below.


I forgot to include the label, but this piece depicts the announcement of Christ's birth. Mary is the girl in the corner. The bright light is the angel, Gabriel. In the name of art appreciation, I gazed at this piece for around ten minutes (my sister told me how she read that this is what you are supposed to do when you visit an art museum). After the ten minutes is when I decided to take the photos.

Why?

The birth announcement is a popular moment many artists have captured throughout the centuries. However, this one, to me, seems the most accurate.

"'Greetings, O favored one, the Lord is with you!' But she was greatly troubled at the saying, and tried to discern what sort of greeting this might be. And the angel said to her, 'Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. And the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.'" ~Luke 1:28-33

As I read the account in Luke 1, I envision something like this picture. Mary is a young girl, maybe sixteen years old. She does not have a hallow around her head. She does not have blonde hair and blue eyes, but looks something like an Israelite living in the Middle East around the first century. She is not living in a mansion or a glamorous room. Gabriel is not the focal point, in fact the artist is not even concerned with his physical form. The emphasis is on young Mary.

She appears meek and humble. Her face captures her fear, but her fear is not paralyzing. She is listening to Gabriel's wonderful news. She is processing what it means for her. The reality of bearing the Savior is slowly sinking in. And yet, Mary seems at peace. With everything likely raging within her, Mary sits quietly. She will eventually ask "how?" but not in a spirit of defiance or resistance. Her young mind is trying to come to grips with how Gabriel's announcement will come to be.


And probably, what I like most about this picture is how I can vividly picture this Mary confessing the actual words Mary record by Luke, "Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word." 

No comments:

Post a Comment