Friday, August 14, 2009

what ever happened to forgiveness?

For those who haven't heard (though by now that seems almost impossible), Michael Vick signed a contract with the Philadelphia Eagles yesterday. It is his first step towards getting his life back on track, or at least moving in the positive direction. The first thing I want to say is that regardless of personal feelings towards Vick and his actions, I can't help but feel a little bit glad about his second chance. True discipline is not meant to embarrass or destroy, but restore the individual back to where they were before their fall (as God does with us). I am not saying Vick has everything back on track, because that would imply I know more than the rest of you when I don't. I am just saying that thus far, his discipline has achieved its intended purpose; the rest is on His shoulders. I am hopeful for his situation because I can already see the effects of his mentor Tony Dungy, a Spirit-filled man, playing out (If you haven't read his memoir Quiet Strength, I would encourage you to do so).

Probably the more frustrating and sad aspect of this entire ordeal is the response from many in the surrounding Philadelphia area. Watching the news and reading stories has led me to believe that we have lost the ability to forgive those who seek repentance (and be ready to for those who do not). Ephesians 4:32 says, "Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." It is true that Vick engaged in a cruel and disgusting act by orchestrating a dog fighting arena. However, he has suffered the consequences for his actions, and he is actively seeking to redeem that which he can. Plus, are any of us any better than him? Paul said in I Timothy 1:15, "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners - of whom I am the worst." This coming from the second most renown individual of our faith (Christ obviously being the first). I think the problem is that we (and when I say "we", I certainly mean "I") really don't believe what Paul says. We are the only ones who know what goes on in our own hearts and minds. We see the dirt and filth whether we chose to address it or not. Our problem is we are too busy pointing at others when they fall that we fail to see the ugliness in ourselves. This leads to a judgmental attitude that lacks the ability to forgive those who slip up along the way. We think we somehow deserve forgiveness because we are not as bad as the other guy, when in fact we are just as far away. Maybe if we took to heart Christ's words about forgiveness, we might react the same way the angels do when a sinner repents: with a joyful heart at the evidence of God's grace in others.

No comments:

Post a Comment