Sunday, September 19, 2010

above all others

I can't recall the exact title of this painting. It is located in the Vatican Museum. It is painted on one of the room ceilings as you make your way to the infamous Sistine Chapel. The title said something along the lines of Jesus crushing the heretics/false gods. I love the depiction of all other gods shattering before the cross of Christ. Before I took the picture, I remember telling Jordan, "that's awesome!"
I love the cross! What is more, I love how it stands alone. No other faith can claim their god coming to earth for the goal of dying to save those who want nothing to do with Him. Every Sunday morning I am reminded of this wonderful truth. I sing it's promises while listening to the reality of its effects. I enter fellowship with brother and sisters who encourage me to daily pursue the cross. Throughout the week, God's Word reminds me of the necessity and beauty of the cross. More brothers and sisters come along side to reiterate its purpose. Everything we do as followers of Christ points to His sovereign reign and rule over all other gods. Let all doubt drive us back to the reality of this beautiful painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment