Sunday, July 8, 2012

prayer

Another gleaning from John Piper's Supremacy of God in Teaching through the pen of Jonathan Edwards:

Ministers, in order to be burning and shining lights, should walk closely with God, and keep near to Christ; that they may ever be enlightened and enkindled by him. And they should be much in seeking God, and conversing with him by prayer, who is the fountain of light and love...Prayer seemed natural to me, as the breath by which the inward burnings of my heart had vent.
 p.99

While this does directly apply to ministers, it also can be stated for the lives of any and all who claim Christ. We are only as bright as we are close to the source. We are only as close as the time we set aside for prayer. Intimacy comes through prayer as Jesus Christ made evident in His earthly ministry.

I would love to say I have prayer covered. Unfortunately, I try to find shortcuts for intimacy. I long for it, but lack the willingness and desire to put forth the effort. I find other things far more enticing than seeking God and conversing with him by prayer. Prayer is definitely not natural to me as the breath by which the inward burnings of my heart had vent.

That is my prayer. Yes I am praying to grow in my love and desire for prayer. I want to be diligent in keeping near to Christ and growing in intimacy with Him. I got refreshing tastes of it this past week during vacation when free time stuck out far more clearly. Now vacation is over and the commitment to the discipline of prayer begins, for both my sanctification and joy.


No comments:

Post a Comment