Monday, July 23, 2012

desiring change

I want to see people come to understand, embrace, rejoice in, and know the freedom found in the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is the primary reason why I am no longer a school teacher, but a seminary student with the desire for full-time ministry. I want to see the grace of God take root in the hearts of those I come in contact with. And I am fairly confident most individuals engaged in ministry desire something along these lines.

But in The Supremacy of God in Preaching, a small sentence reminded me of another person I should desire the same things for: me.


The spirit we long to see in our people must be in ourselves first. But that will never happen until, as Edwards says, we know our own emptiness and helplessness and terrible sinfulness.


After reading this, I realized I do not fully understand, embrace, rejoice in, and the know the freedom found in the gospel of Jesus Christ. I have not allowed the grace of God to take over all of me. What I desire for those around me needs to be my own desire first. I need grace just as much as anyone else, and to think differently only demonstrates how much I am in need.


No comments:

Post a Comment