Friday, August 3, 2012

nowhere to go

Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
~Psalm 139:7

I doubt I am the only one, but the current week has been a busy one. Beginning with a sprint vacation over the weekend and continuing with swimming championships (and rain outs), my week felt a lot more like chaos than anything else. Throw in tomorrow morning's final championships just for good measure.

As such, time for seeking and drawing closer to my God was difficult and waning. With all the busyness the desire, energy, and time seemed non-existent. The week ran on as a large blur with little to offer.

But God being a God of grace showed me the reality of Psalm 139:7. In a week where there were times when I wanted to draw near and times when I avoided it, God reminded me of His nearness nonetheless.

At work nearly everyone was out on vacation. For the entire afternoon, I was left alone. Thanks to the wonders of technology, I listened to a sermon about surrendering my will to God's and rooting myself upon God's grace alone. Additionally, I was given time to meditate, pray, and be still in the presence of my God.

Normally, I read Psalm 139:7 with a twinge of fear and trembling. I cannot escape God. All my sin is not hidden from His sight. I can run, but I cannot hide. This is sobering and should strike fear into my heart.

But as I found out today, Psalm 139:7 is a beautiful reality. God does not leave me to myself. He seeks me when even when I can't seem to find the time or desire to do so. He steps into my chaotic world bringing His presence and His peace. He feeds not with everything I want, but with exactly what my broken and desperate soul needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment