Monday, August 27, 2012

stubborn for God

My Bible plan had me begin the book of Ezekiel today. I am particularly fond of Ezekiel, and I am eager to dig deeper into it as I read. It has a lot of things I do not understand along with a numbers of passages I come back to frequently for one reason or another. And today, I think Ezekiel 3 will be added to my repertoire.

Ezekiel was another prophet called to declare God's Word to the people of Israel. The playing out of his calling is something worth reading as God provides a vision of crazy-looking winged creatures, a wheel with eyes, a glimpse of the glory of God on His throne, and a scroll to eat. It's unlike most of the other callings received by the other prophets.

In Ezekiel 3 Ezekiel learns that God is sending him to his brothers in Israel. He will be going to a stubborn, stiff-necked people who probably will not listen to what he says. But God will not leave Ezekiel unprepared or by himself.

But the house of Israel will not be willing to listen to you, for they are not willing to listen to me: because all the house of Israel have a hard forehead and a stubborn heart. Behold, I have made your face as hard as their faces, and your forehead as hard as their foreheads. Like emery harder than flint have I made your forehead. Fear them not, nor be dismayed at their looks, for they are a rebellious house.” ~Ezekiel 3:7-10

I find this particular an immense comfort. God provides Ezekiel with exactly what he will need to be God's servant to His people. On top of that, God warns Ezekiel of the frustrations and difficulties facing him. But I particularly enjoy how God gifted Ezekiel for his task. God made Ezekiel as stubborn and hard-headed for prophesying the Word of God as the Israelites were in their rebellion against God. Ezekiel would be what Israel was called to be, but failed at over and over again: zealous for the Lord.

Sadly, I tend to be linked closer to Israel than Ezekiel. However, what a comfort to know that God equips His weak and feeble servants in the exact way they need. He does not send us off on our own or throw us into the wolves without His grace at work in us. And while success is not guaranteed, we can persevere and endure well because God is the work working in and through us.

No comments:

Post a Comment