Thursday, August 9, 2012

fear of death

You do not fear death. You think this makes you strong. It makes you weak.

Without spoiling anything, the above quote is from The Dark Knight Rises which I took in a few weeks back. It is directed at Bruce Wayne/Batman who seems to believe embracing death is his greatest ally and point of strength. He thinks it makes him invincible.

Since taking in the movie, this line has been inescapable. How does my approach to death affect me?

On the one hand, death is no longer something to fear. Because of Christ's life, death, and resurrection death does not have the final say. Death's victory and sting have been swallowed up in Christ (1 Corinthians 15:54-55). Therefore, I can echo what Paul says in 2 Corinthians 5:8, we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord. This is the believer's hope. It is the reality in which we live. As such, death is no longer to be feared.

And yet death remains. It still wins battles as friends, loved ones, and, eventually, ourselves succumb to their futility in one way or another. Even with Christ's victory, man is like a breath; his days are like a passing shadow. (Psalm 144:4). Further still, the author of Hebrews (9:27) says, and just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment. Judgment awaits all of us. For those in Christ, Christ alone is our righteousness and justification. For those apart from Christ, judgment and condemnation awaits. And this is where I need a fear of death. Not my own, but of those outside of God's saving grace.

The fear of their death (can we call it love for them?) will push me to engage the lost with the gospel. It will strengthen my resolve to see them clothed in Christ's righteousness and justified before the Father through the work of the Holy Spirit.

Death's powerlessness over me does not mean I sit and wait patiently for my time to come. Such a view is irresponsible, cold, self-centered, and sinful. It does mean I am ready, but never disengaged. Instead, I should be moved to take part in God's on-going plan of loosening death's grip day by day until the Day when it serves as nothing but a memory.





No comments:

Post a Comment