Tuesday, September 4, 2012

tradition

Traditional sentiment can never be pleaded as the proper ground for any element of the worship of the church of God. Divine institution is the only warrant. And when sentiment or custom takes the place of the recognition of divine prescription in any particular that concerns the elements of divine worship, a state of mind is revealed which is altogether alien to the nature of the church and of the worship which it offers to God. ~John Murray, Christian Baptism

I hear the word "tradition," and I immediately think of "The Fiddler on the Roof." I picture a large bearded man singing about the wonders of tradition. And as my mind wonders I naturally find myself singing or humming alongside. Traditions are good. They provide a sense of comfort and normalcy to a life which rarely appears as such. My family has wonderful traditions particularly around certain holidays. Things get testy when these traditions are threatened.

The church is also filled with traditions. Every church has their own way of doing things when it comes to worship, discipleship, evangelism, etc., many of which are useful and productive. But when it comes to how a church operates, I like to ask the question "why?"

Why?

If I am being truly honest, I must confess that sometimes I do it out of pride and arrogance. It may be that I simply do not like a particular practice or think my idea would be better. It may be I think something is outdated and in need of something fresh. It may be I think I am on to something which no one else has thought of. And it is times like these I am glad God has given me His Spirit, His Word, and His people. All three have been necessary to keep me from or rebuke me for questioning with a proud heart. They effectively speak at those times when I could use a lesson in humility.

But at other times (and I wish they were the majority), I question in the spirit of Murray's quote. I fear we do what we do simply because it was done by those before us. It is a tradition handed down through time, and over the years, the original intent, which was probably good, got lost. I ask "why" because I may not be able to see anything but tradition, and I am hoping someone will make the distinction obvious. Or I ask "why" because any sense pf a Biblical prescription is altogether absent.

And like Murray, I believe it matters because it involves worship, which is far more than singing songs on a Sunday morning. Worship involves everything we do and everything we are. But most importantly, worship involves God. It means ascribing Him the honor and glory due to His name. And our best means for proper worship is to adhere to what He has prescribed especially when it differs from what we actually may be doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment