Wednesday, April 17, 2013

like that Muppet in the trashcan

This past Sunday I preached through Psalm 6.

It is a psalm of lament from the mouth/pen of David. Whatever the reason, David has found himself in the deepest of pits surrounded by anguish and despair. It is an honestly depressing psalm from a physically and spiritually broken man.

Over the course of last week, my prayer life was exposed by Psalm 6. While I am not currently facing what David is facing, I am still called to cry out to God nonetheless. I quickly found out that this is not my default position. I will cry out to everything and anything, but God is often sought at the end. David makes it painstakingly clear that the Lord is who He seeks first and all the way through what circumstance he was facing.

And so I tied this into some of the application points of my sermon on Sunday. I had wrestled over the course of the week as the Spirit used the Word to rebuke me. Then after delivering the sermon I figured I had learned my lesson and was ready to move on to the next one.

Wrong.

So far this week, I have been rather cranky. I have my reasons, none of which are justifiable. And what have I been doing with my crankiness? Have I been laying it before the Lord who hears me as David did? Have I been putting what God taught me last week into practice?

Nope.

Instead, I have whined and complained both internally and externally. Sadly, I have not been the most pleasant of persons to those around me. I have neglected the One who is standing ready to listen even to a whiny and ungrateful child like myself.

Psalm 6 is a lament, but it also teaches us to bring to the Lord all of our requests, burdens, sins, and emotions. And crankiness is included in that mix. In less than a week, I have quickly forgotten this blessing.

Thankfully, God is patient and gracious when dealing with grouches like me. He daily invites me to come and commune with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment