Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Revelation 3:14-20

Last year I read a good portion of The Valley of Vision due to the fact that I was only substitute teaching. I would bring it with me to the classrooms and read it during my prep periods. I would jot down certain lines that stood out to me or reactions I had to what was said. The more I read, the more I desired to dabble in poetic writing myself. I wrote a collection of different poems which usually came about from my Bible reading or sermons on Sunday mornings. They aren't anything to brag about, but I do enjoy coming back to them every now and again. There are certain ones which speak directly to specific areas of my life. Unfortunately, my current schedule keeps me very busy, so writing is not one of my top priorities. I am hoping to get better at squeezing in times to use writing as a form of meditating on God's Word. This poem is one of the last ones I wrote and it's title is the same of the title of this post. I listened to a message on this passage of Scripture, which shed new light on a passage I always thought I had understood.

I wish to hide from His righteous stare
For when I am found my heart is laid bare.
This bareness leaves me feeling naked and exposed
And He quickly reminds me that He already knows.
The light of His eyes burns down to my core
Where the beast of pride stands guard at the door.
Here it is fed and given life to survive
And the glory of self has allowed it to thrive.
It pursues its own interests and seeks it own praise.
Instead of trying to fight, I submit to its ways.
I boast in myself for the things He has done
And am convinced I no longer have need for the Son.
I say I am rich when in fact I am poor.
I am wretched, naked, blind, and pitiful once more.
The deeds of the faith are lukewarm and a waste
So out of His mouth He spits me with haste.
But there in my filth I am not left alone
For He still loves me and calls me His own.
He gives me garments of white to cover my shame
And the riches that come from sharing His name.
He rubs mud on my eyes to restore my sight
Then moves to my heart where He's ready to fight.
He opens the door and throws out the beast
To make room for Himself and a magnificent feast.
Now before Him I stand with my heart open wide
But this time I'm willing having no need to hide.

1 comment: