Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Road Ahead

Over the month of January I wrote two posts which touched upon my future endeavors (look and see). As of right now I am not in any clearer standing than I was last month. However, I have had the blessing of talking with family and close friends about where they might see God leading me. While they haven't given me a clear direction, the conversations have been fruitful and encouraging. The words they have shared with me continue to drive me to the throne of grace where I can find wisdom, peace, and, eventually, my answer. This week was especially beneficial as God forced me to slow down and turn all my attention to Him. The two snow days I was blessed with this week were spent reading, praying, studying, and listening to my Father. It was as if I received two Sabbath days right in the middle of the week. Once again, I did not receive any clarity of the road ahead, but I did receive numerous challenges and reminders to let God be the One who is in control.

I learned that my road ahead looks like this:

It's dark with low visibility and ample opportunities to stumble. Why do I consider this a lesson, let alone an encouraging one? God reminded me of one simple truth; I can't walk this road relying on my own strength. If I try there will be a large, face-down snow angel right in the middle of the road. Where I can't see, He can. Where I can't stand, He will. Where I'm lost, He leads. If my road was a straight and perfectly smooth surface, He knows I would convince myself to be my own guide. This road, while difficult and strenuous, will prove a blessing as I trudge down it with Him.

Matthew 6:30-31, 33-34 says, "But if God clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious about anything...But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."

My Father will not start me on this road only to be abandon me when things get tough. At times I will follow in His footsteps while at others He will have to carry me. Either way, my needs will be provided for. When I believe and begin acting upon this (for belief without action is nothing but empty talk) I will focus less on the road ahead, and more on my God who is leading me. The road will seem less of a burden because I will be able to see the beauty on display all around me.



No comments:

Post a Comment