Monday, February 22, 2010

Happy Birthday Big Guy!

Today my father (aka Big Guy) took another step on the opposite side of the century mark. I have already written about his role in my spiritual formation, so I won't rehash that argument. However, I do not want to diminish his impact as my father and friend. Therefore, I have decided to post two of my favorite pictures with the Big Guy from recent years. The first one comes from my sister's wedding roughly 3+ years ago. It may appear staged, but the cameraman simply took aim at him imparting wisdom to me while we waited for the bride-groom photo shoot to wrap up. Personally, it's one of my favorites in the history of our relationship.

For those who haven't been around my family very often, the nickname "Big Guy" may seem strange and possibly irreverent. Truth be told, it started in high school when we started playing Saturday morning basketball together. Given his 6'2" stature and my 5'7" frame, I naturally used him as my "big guy" on the court. From there it grew into my unofficial name for him both on and off the court. Plus his arms still swallow me up whenever we embrace or partake in our historic wrestling ritual. He is both literally and figuratively the Big Guy. This picture depicts the application of all the earthly wisdom he has bestowed upon me through the years. He would never let his children go to the beach without learning how to successfully ride waves. Lesson learned Big Guy, lesson learned.



No comments:

Post a Comment