Saturday, April 10, 2010

post silence

Typically whenever God calls us to be silent before Him we cannot leave His presence unchanged (I know that's a double negative, but I like it). He will always magnify Himself in that time while also showing us our need for repentance. I spent various moments over the past few days dwelling in God's presence without speaking. Where I usually would sit and bring my requests before Him (and there were many), I felt led to simply be still. I asked nothing of Him except to reveal what He wanted from me. As I sat and waited, my mind was rushed with verse after verse from the Bible. Surprisingly there wasn't a specific theme or thought to them. Instead, I was flooded with the entirety of God's Word. God was speaking to me the same way He has spoken to all His children from eternity past: through His Word. How stupid am I to forget His Word is more than merely letters printed on a page? It really is living and active. I only needed to close my mouth and start reading with a desire to listen not just understand.

As the flooding slowly decreased, God ended my moments of silence with promises from His Word. God showed me His faithfulness, comfort, refuge, strength, forgiveness, and so much more by simply bringing His Word to the forefront of my mind. With that, He called me back to where the silence began in the book of Habakkuk. Look among the nations, and see; wonder and be astounded. For I am doing a work in your days that you would not believe if told (1:5).

Before I got too excited God called me to read the rest of the passage so as not to hear it as a "health and wealth" message. God's declaration to me was two-fold: (1) He is doing something and (2) I don't believe Him. Regardless of what I think is happening God is at work. The fruition of His work may not be seen in this lifetime, but that doesn't matter. Something great is going on behind the scenes. The greatness is not just for me to see, but all peoples. People are going to stand before Him amazed when He is finished. That is enough for me to be joyful and continue to labor because I know it is not in vain.

Unfortunately, God showed me my lack of faith in Him right after this encouragement. I am the person who has been told what God is doing, but failed to believe it. My inability to see the end results squashed my desire to endure. I wanted to whine and complain instead of have faith. I found it easier to do that than believe. Graciously God pointed me to someone else who had the same problem. This time it wasn't Habakkuk or one of the other well known leaders of the faith. It was the father of a boy possessed by a demon. He came to Jesus to ask for healing. Jesus essentially asked him if he believed Jesus could heal his son. The father's response is the same as mine, I believe; help my unbelief!

No comments:

Post a Comment