Wednesday, April 7, 2010

when God says enough

My band of brothers is currently digesting the book of Habakkuk (yup, we've gone Old Testament) on our Wednesday night gatherings. We are actually in the midst of an extended period studying the latter prophets of the Old Testament. I have read the books before, but it is refreshing to discuss them with my brothers. We have tackled some of the "uncomfortable" topics of the faith, while reaffirming those we have come to love.

The book of Habakkuk starts off with two complaints the prophet has against God. The first centers around the Assyrian oppression facing Israel. Habakkuk rightly recognizes their complete disregard for God and His holiness. In response, God promises the Babylonians to come and wipe out the Assyrians, but still oppress Israel. As expected, Habakkuk raises his second complaint on God's ordaining one evil nation to replace another. It seems a bit off and confusing, but Habakkuk is reminded that God is God and we are not.

For those who follow my blog on a semi-usual basis, you may have started to hear the voice of Habakkuk coming through. Don't believe me? How about, O Lord, how long shall I cry for help, and you will not hear? (v. 2) or why do you idly look at traitors and remain silent...(v. 13)? It wasn't intentional, at least from my reference point. I have been offering up my complaints against the trials I am facing, and questioning God's decisions in the midst of them. Some days I echo David and the other psalmists by letting those complaints remind me of God's promises (see Psalm 13). These reminders then drive me to fall before the throne in a spirit of worship. These are the times I believe God is most glorified in the midst of our trials. When we can humbly come before Him with the harsh realities swirling around us but claim His promises above these realities, we are declaring Him to be sovereign and faithful. That is easier said than done.

My complaints typically stop and dwell on the realities. I fail to claim God's promises as my hope. They travel in one ear and out the other with no lasting effect. The result? I sound like a whiny, ungrateful child every time I approach my Father. Well, God may be patient, but He isn't a slouch. Like with Habakkuk (and every other complainer in the history of mankind), God eventually tells us "that is enough." I heard that a lot as a child with my dad, but there is something especially humbling when it comes from the throne of the King of heaven.

I am going to end the post with God's declaration because He should always have the final word, and because there was nothing left to say once I read it. I am left to follow what He has told me to do in this section of His Word without argument. It's not my first choice, but God isn't obligated to plan in accordance with my schedule.

But the Lord is in his holy temple; let all the earth keep silence before him.

1 comment: