Thursday, February 3, 2011

Jeevan Sunny

This is the name of one of the LCMI staff members. He is 22, and a black-belt in Taekwondo. When the Newsong team was here he demonstrated various escape maneuvers, which would leave the instigator with multiple broken bones. He's deceptively strong, with little clues to how forceful he can be.

Even more important is his heart for ministry. He is willing to do whatever it takes for the ministry to keep moving forward. He works late. He runs errands. He jumps in at a moments notice. The kids enjoy his energy and enthusiasm. The staff appreciates his dedication. He also loves God's Word. We have talked frequently about different passages and what God wants to reveal to us in them. Like me, he is trying to learn what exactly God wants his ministry to look like. He is internship ends on the last day of March. He will be offered the opportunity to stay on staff, provided the finances continue to be there.

Last night I had the privilege of going to his home after the day of work. Sanjay and Keren finally had the chance to celebrate their anniversary, and forgot to leave me a key. Sanjay offered me a place to relax until they got home. I ended up staying for dinner as his parents were excited about my coming over. I learned how blessed he is in regards to his family. His dad faithfully serves the Muslim community by establishing good relationships with them, and the using those relationships to plant the seeds of the gospel. His mother and sister both have the hearts of true servants, and they have helped out with various camps throughout the years. It reminded me of how blessed I also am to have the family God has given me.

As he drove me home on his two-wheeler (more like a dirt bike in terms of it's power), he shared how thankful he was to have me over to fellowship with him. I told him God has blessed my time here with rich friendships so suddenly. When we ate he made me pray because he wanted to hear my prayer in his home. As I did, I thought about the wonderful testimony Sunny and I have become of the unifying power of the gospel. We live thousands of miles apart, met only one month ago, but share a bond of brotherhood.

What a mighty God we serve!

1 comment:

  1. how exciting. has he taught you any taekwondo? (and he kind of makes you look huge in this photo. like bodybuilder huge. so funny!)

    ReplyDelete