Saturday, April 9, 2011

Christian reaches the cross

I never read Pilgrim's Progress before. I know the gist of the story and various events that transpired. I subbed for my injured mother yesterday, and I saw the book on one of her shelves. I began reading to see if it's as much of a "classic" as people say it is. I'm not even halfway through, but I love the images and words used to effectively describe the struggle facing us as we strive towards our real home. I have seen myself many times in Christian, especially his failures.

Last night I read Christian's reaching of the cross. What a beautiful picture. I won't elaborate on it, but simply recite it for I think enough is said in what Bunyan wrote.

He ran thus till he came to a place somewhat ascending; and upon that place stood a cross, and a little below, in the bottom, a sepulcher. So I saw in my dream that just as Christian came up with the cross, the burden loosened from off his shoulders, and fell from off his back, and began to tumble, and so continued to do till it came to the mouth of the sepulcher, where it fell in, and I saw it no more.

Then was Christian glad and lightsome, and said with a merry heart: "He hath given me rest by His sorrow and life by His death." Then he stood still a while to look and wonder; for it was very surprising to him that the sight of the cross should thus ease him of his burden. He looked therefore, and looked again, even till the springs that were in his dead sent the waters down his cheeks. (Bunyan, John pp. 40-41)

No comments:

Post a Comment