Friday, April 15, 2011

I received an email containing a link to a news article (or blog on a news website) from a friend. The article was written by the professor who taught the theology class I attended my sophomore year in college. Needless to say, I was not overly fond of her teaching then, and I am continually less fond of it now. To her credit, my strong disagreements with her cultivated a love for God's Word as Truth in this world filled with fallacies everywhere you turn. It was the place I ran to each and every day before and after class.

In all honesty, the article made me more than frustrated. I intended on posting about it, and then going off on some of the things circulating amongst "Christianity"in the name of improvement. Thankfully God always has a better idea.

First He brought back the words I said yesterday about why I use my blog. I don't want it to be a place where I write things in order to gain a following or bring attention to myself. It's for myself to write, wrestle, learn, and grow. Those peeking in can take from it what they wish, but my prayer is that God is the one speaking more than me. I do that more than enough already.

Next, He turned my mind to His Word. What has been and what will be, and what has been done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun. (Ecclesiastes 1:9). The "new" ideas people are conjuring up are not new at all. They've been shared before and God's Word proved true. I don't need to speak my own opinions, but let God's Word do all the talking.

Then, He turned me again to His Word. For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts (Isaiah 55:8-9). God has a plan for everything. He allows lies and falsehoods to bring about His glory regardless of what we may think they are bringing. It's not an accident some of the same arguments shot down centuries ago seem to be rearing their heads once again. (side note: I started reading John Piper's A Sweet and Bitter Providence which is a detailed look into the story of Ruth. It addresses this exact issue. God allows terrible things to happen because through them He always is working for the good of His children and glory of His name. Two chapters in and I am eager to reread Ruth)

And finally, He directed me back to His Word. Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! "For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor? Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?" For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen (Romans 11:33-36). My job is not to try and figure anything out. My job to to praise Him because He is exactly who He is. I won't figure Him out completely anytime soon, and this should warm my heart towards worship. For only He is worthy because only He is high and exalted!

1 comment:

  1. You should listen to Phil Thorne's message, "What did Naomi want?". I love the book of Ruth and really enjoyed that sermon. It was nice seeing you this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete