Wednesday, April 27, 2011

here comes the sun

A friend of mine frequently sings the praises of the song Here Comes the Sun by the Beatles. Personally, I am not a Beatles fan. I fail to comprehend the fascination with them. I don't really like their sound nor am I overly wowed by their lyrics. You need to have one of those two in order to reel me in. You won't them find anywhere near my top twenty bands/musicians of all time.

Anyways, he plays it on the guitar and/or makes me listen to it at various times we are together. I don't remember any of lines of the song except for "here comes the sun" sung over and over again (or so I feel). But recently I have found myself singing the line (since it's are all I know) almost every day for at least ten solid minutes. I even singing it in my head during our Easter sunrise service. Maybe it's because spring is here. Maybe it's because the wet April is giving way to May.

Just the other day I began thinking more as to the reason for these lyrics being stuck on repeat. I finished A Sweet and Bitter Providence last week, but the book has been on my mind afresh as of late. I know a lot of people suffering in one form or another. Right now God has seen fit to bring upon them a season of bitterness (in general not necessarily towards Him). Naomi experienced the same season when she left her home country, lost her husband, saw her sons marry non-Jewish women, lost both her sons, and went back home with nothing. She even changed her name from Naomi (sweet) to Mara (bitter).

But as we read the rest of the book, you can almost hear "hear comes the sun" being sung with each and every sentence. God was shining small rays of His sweet grace through the clouds of bitterness. It all started with Ruth clinging to Naomi as the first ray. By the end, the sun was bursting through in the form of a grandson who would fall into the familial line of Jesus Christ.

So be patient those surrounded by the dark clouds of bitterness. And pray for God to open your eyes to see His rays of loving grace shining through.

"Here comes the sun, here comes the sun, and I say it's alright."

1 comment:

  1. I loved that book! Michelle Wright lent it to me. It's quite an attainable John Piper. Also-your blog is very fascinating to read.

    ReplyDelete