Wednesday, July 27, 2011

approval ratings

I originally planned on posting about something altogether different, but I forgot when I stumbled upon this. Apparently, we think we have a right to give God our approval ratings. I wonder what might happen if He decided to give His approval ratings of us.

Oh wait, I think His ratings saw Christ stepping down from heaven to take on humanity, live out perfect obedience on earth, suffer and die a brutal death (physically, emotionally, and spiritually), and thereby remove our failed ratings and replace them with His perfect ratings now and forever. Otherwise, our failed ratings would have stuck to us for all eternity due to our inability and lack of desire to overcome them. Or to put it nicely, God's rating of our performance led to an abundant outpouring of His grace (see Romans 5).

The initial reaction I had was, how hilariously arrogant can we be? It's hilarious because we have no clue about anything outside our own little world and the small snippets we see on CNN. In fact, we don't even know what's going on in our own minds, let alone every place in every time as God, the Almighty. I read the survey results, and Job 38-42 directly springs to mind. In it, God tells Job to "man-up" (and that's putting it nicely) and answer God's questions pertaining to the workings of the entire universe to the tiniest detail. How do you think it would go if we really were in control like we think we are?

As I have thought on it longer, my response has evolved from a corporate analysis to an individual one. And the results don't look any better. While I would not fill out a survey evaluating God's work, I do something very similar within my heart. This week alone, not quite three days in, I voiced my displeasure on multiple occasions. Instead of being grateful for the multitude of blessings I have and a wonderfully successful start to seminary, I found it far better to whine about limited funds, still living as a dependent, and other trivial things God has complete control over. As embarrassing as it is to confess, my ratings probably wouldn't have been as high as our country's.

And this all reminded me of an email I recently received from one member of my band of brothers. We are no longer in close proximity, but I thank God often for the presence they still have in my life. He kept it simple, but it spoke volumes to a weary soul.


The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; His mercies never come
to an end; they are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.
The LORD is my portion, says my soul, therefore I will hope in Him.

~Lamentations 3:22

No comments:

Post a Comment