Friday, July 8, 2011

a matter of perception

Around two weeks ago I read this verse from Nehemiah 6:16, And when all our enemies heard of it, all the nations around us were afraid and fell greatly in their own esteem, for they perceived that this work had been accomplished with the help of our God.

At the time I was doing another character study of Nehemiah, particularly his gifts as a leader. The verse was a nice conclusion to all the work put forth to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem. Prior to completion, it seemed to be an impossible task for anyone. By God's grace, Nehemiah led the people to complete it in merely fifty-two days. And that was with intense opposition from numerous enemies.

Right now I feel as though I am building a wall. My Hebrew class is two weeks in with roughly six still to go. I am enjoying the content, but the work is draining. My life is consumed with studying and the few gaps I have are filled in with eating and sleeping. Anything else I am able to do is simply a blessing from God.

But through it all I have been reminded of Nehemiah 6:16. In the end all the work is God's accomplishment through me. Without His strength I would have dropped out after day two. God is and will continue to help. And by helping, I am learning to rely on Him more and more. When I need rest, I find it in Him. When I need strength, I ask for His. When I need wisdom, He grants it abundantly.

I am positive I have never studied as hard as I have the past two weeks. I am also positive this will continue until the end of August (and quite possibly beyond). However, I am just as positive my reliance upon my God and Savior has never been as emphasized as it is right now. There is no room for pride, and I pray I would maintain such humility through the power of God's Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment