Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Psalm 62

vs. 5-8:

For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence,
for my hope is from him.
He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress;
I shall not be shaken.
On God rests my salvation and my glory;
my mighty rock, my refuge is God.
Trust in him at all times, O people;
pour out your heart before him;
God is a refuge for us.


As humans, we wrestle over where our hope lies. We like the tangible things because their concreteness helps minimize our uneasiness. Unfortunately, every tangible thing fails to deliver every single time. They have failed all people over the course of human history. They will continue to fail all people as history continually unfolds. Everyone knows this full well, and yet we continually seek after the hopeless. It's why many around us are driven to despair whether they have everything or nothing.

In theory, I am exempt from this pandemic. I have Christ (by means of His grace and nothing of my own), and He is all the hope I need. Actually, there is no hope apart from Him. I am lost, stained, and condemned without Him, but loved, adopted, redeemed, and forgiven in Him.

So why do I wrestle over the location of my hope? Why is what I am freely given in Christ never enough? Why am I continually looking for more?


For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence,
for my hope is from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment