Wednesday, September 21, 2011

a nugget

I am learning to read at a lightning-fast pace. It has its benefits such as being able to adequately accomplish the assignments for my classes (I can't say enough about how much I love Google calendar's Tasks option. Sheer genius). However, fast reading does make it difficult to soak in the material. Therefore I am learning to be selective, while trying to get the most out of each assignment as I can.

But even at fast paces, nuggets of gold can be found in nearly everything I am reading. And just as gold-diggers (not the kind Kayne West sings about) do, I celebrate when I happen to stumble upon such nuggets.

Hence that dread and wonder with which Scripture commonly represents the saints as stricken and overcome whenever they felt the presence of God...We must infer that man is never sufficiently touched and affected by the awareness of his lowly state until he has compared himself with God's majesty              ~John Calvin

If you have never read anything by John Calvin, may I encourage you to dabble? Now those who don't hold to Reformed Theology may cringe because they rightfully equate Calvin with predestination and election. However, his scope is far more reaching than these (though I would argue there is great benefit and treasure in them as well). He is not overly complex or wordy, but rich in unpacking biblical truths.

Anyways I loved the quote above for it reminds us of perspective. I can think of myself as lowly without comparing myself to God. I recognize I fail often simply by observing how I behave compared to those around me. I know lots of people of greater morality and service than I. And it's humbling to acknowledge.

However, people don't hold a candle compared to God. Comparing myself to a "good" person is nothing like comparing myself to the holy God. When we honestly perform this task, we are left, as Isaiah said, "undone." We see the full depths of our depravity and the immeasurable beauty of God's perfection. Too often I go about comparing myself to others (in a non-judgmental way) to keep myself humble. But the reality is, I will still be good enough by doing this. Humility only comes by comparing myself to God before whom I am can never be good enough.

And this also makes me all the more thankful for Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Derek. You gave me something to work on, comparing myself to God. That will definitely help me see where I truly am.

    ReplyDelete