Sunday, October 30, 2011

babies

I have a hilarious niece and nephew (sorry Heidi, you're almost there). Every time I get the privilege of being with them I enjoy myself. While their parents get to interact with their less-than wonderful sides, even they will be quick to acknowledge the fun to be had.

Along with the fun, I find myself learning lessons from these two extremely young persons. They don't know they are teaching me, and I doubt they have any intentions of doing it either.

Take my nephew. Two weeks ago we made a short visit to my brother's house to see my sister-in-law and nephew who were unable to attend a family wedding. Besides being extremely excited, my nephew ran around the house showing off all his tricks and toys. He had no idea what to do with himself he was so excited.

Then there is my niece. Last night we paid a short visit to celebrate her daddy's birthday. She received a present as well which was followed by a "so pretty" comment. Later, I was playing with her elephant costume and using the trunk to give "elephant kisses" to which she responded, "oh hello Mr. elephant!" On top of that, she would also run around bubbling over all the wonderful toys in her possession, both the simple and extravagant.

This morning I was reminded of two things as I reflected on my niece and nephew. First, I thought of Ephesians 1:3, Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places. While they may not understand the full value of the blessings they receive, neither one of them shies away from being excited and grateful for them. Whether it's a pink elephant balloon or an unused dog leash, they are thankful for it. I wish I had an similar attitude when I think of all the blessings I have been given.

I also thought of 1 Thessalonians 5:16 & 18, Rejoice always...give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. This is similar to the previous thought. These two little ones not only give thanks through their words, but through the way they receive and enjoy their blessings. They share their gifts with others as well as their enthusiasm. It's a great reminder how I should be using the gifts I have been given. If they can rejoice always, why can't I?

Kids are cute. They are wonderful to be around. And if we pay attention, they are capable teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment