Thursday, October 20, 2011

short notes

I attend a Presbyterian seminary. I, myself, am not a Presbyterian. I have nothing against Presbyterians. There are some points where we might see things differently, but I am not ready to fight over them. I think Presbyterians are wonderful people. They make up parts my family and friends, as a result of the last two months. They love Jesus, love God's Word, love His people, and desire to see more follow Him. And it's hard to argue against that.

I like to attend chapel as often as I can. It's only thirty or so minutes, and I am usually already on campus each day around that time. It provides me with a necessary reminder of why I am attending seminary, and where my focus should be. The days differ, but Wednesday is when chapel runs like a shortened Presbyterian service (basically no communion, two songs, and no creeds). I have attended a number of such services before, but three things have stood out to me over recent weeks. I have found them more than refreshing.

First, they sing the deeply theological hymns and songs many churches have pushed aside. They sing of atonement, justification, sanctification, redemption, and all the other words which end in "tion." It's nearly impossible to sing and not come away with an overwhelming sense of what it is we exactly believe. What is preached is synonymous with what is sung. I use the RUF when I am fiddling with my guitar. Many of these songs are the ones we sing. And it is wonderful!

Second, the Word of God is read as a collective group. When I was a kid, I hated "responsive readings." I thought they were boring and just another time consuming activity in the service. Thankfully God does not operate according to my standards. There is something beautiful when God's Word is read by His people in one voice. It's a unified declaration of who God is and what His Word tells us. Plus, it is never a bad idea to have God's Word read again. The more the merrier!

Finally, prayer is offered by the entire body. There are times when one person prays for the entire body, which is also good. And while I am not the biggest fan of pre-written prayers, I think they have their place for the corporate body. Too often the praying is done by the leaders (which should happen), while the people observe. The set aside time of repeating a prayer together reminds me of the unity that exists within the body of Christ.

Sometimes we like to pick at the diversity within the body of Christ. While certain times call for picking, it's a great blessing when the diversity leads to the glory of God.

1 comment:

  1. Before you know it you'll be baptizing babies and extolling to virtues of five point calvanism

    ReplyDelete