Sunday, October 9, 2011

pride in calling

On Friday, I conversed with one of my classmates about the slate of material confronting us. Aside from class differences, the two of us hold the same schedules. As we continued on, our conversation evolved into which classes provided us with the most "nuggets" one month into the semester. It was a very pleasant conversation. Our different responses indicated the passions, desires, and movements of our hearts. At times we agreed upon certain classes, but a confused "really?" was also fairly common.

While all my classes have had their moments, I have been surprised by my more joyful response to formation of ministry (I know, the title alone sounds like a real sleeper). Particularly, I have found the readings to be a pleasant treat. They rarely deal with the high and lofty theological arguments (which definitely have their place), but the practical life of ministry. They expose the blessings, struggles, dangers, and everything else involved with ministry. As a person who likes reading for the challenges contained, I have found myself challenged more than once.

This week I had to read Os Guinness' The Call. It definitely targets people involved in full-time ministry, but it doesn't not ignore all Christians because we are called to ministry in one form or another. As a fallen human (stumbling block #1) of the male variety (stumbling block #2) with my heart, mind, and will (stumbling block #3) the chapter on pride effectively did a number.

The devilish strategy of Pride is that it attacks us, not in our weakest points, but in our strongest. It is preeminently the sin of noble mind.


Pride doesn't come through my weakness. I don't push for my own way in things I don't feel strong in. I'll happily give way to other people. However, when it comes to those places I consider myself strong (or even gifted) in my pride is far more likely to come shining through. It's not when things are going poorly that I am more likely to give into my pride (though it's still a threat), but when all seems to be going swimmingly. When it appears as though my strengths are the catalysts, I am in danger. And I love the reminder Mr. Guinness ends this chapter with.

Do we feel the wonder of being called? It is all a gift and all of grace.

Whereas my human tendency is to place pride in my calling (both daily and life), God's purpose in calling is to humble me. He wants to show me how inadequate I truly am, especially in my areas of strengths. He wants me to see His calling as a call to humility as I receive His wonderful grace. My strengths are not what has achieved His grace or brought on my calling. Both have come in spite of my strengths. And therein lies the reality that my calling is wrapped in humility, removing all room for pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment