Saturday, January 4, 2014

A New Year's Resolution?

2013 saw me write the least of any year in my blog's four-year history (I'm not including the inaugural 2009 year which actually commenced in August). This caused me to seriously consider calling it quits. I rarely felt like writing. School and life already captivate the little time I had. Even when I found the urge, I avoided it. The things I wanted to say seemed to be more "soap-box" oriented than holding any sort of value. I simply wanted people to hear my voice. And personally, the blogosphere does not need one more voice screaming "listen to me!"

However, part of me could not give up blogging entirely. It has proven a valuable outlet in the midst of all my learning (both in seminary and life in general). I would come back to things I read for class which did not exactly pertain to my education. I would process things going on both in my small context as well as the world at large. And as the name suggests, writing here allowed me to wrestle either with my beliefs and convictions or my circumstances.

I do not make resolutions for the New Year. They are typically shallow and quickly abandoned. Without providing a number, I will say my desire is to write more. 2014 will be a busy year for me. This does not include all the unplanned-for things that will certainly come my way. Writing will (hopefully) help me to process, keep perspective, and grow over the course of this year. And as I have written before, my goal is not to gain attention or increase my list of readers (I do appreciate those who read and pray my writing serves you well). If I increase or decrease, it is no skin off my back. Instead I write for the same reason I engage in anything,

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31)

And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. (Colossians 3:17)

No comments:

Post a Comment