Wednesday, January 15, 2014

allergies

My quest to write more has already staggered a bit with only one post in two weeks. Thankfully, I am not officially keeping track of my progress.

This week I began a one-week class on prayer. The actual title of the course is "Prayer in Gospel Ministry." I took it for two reasons. One, I lead our church's monthly prayer services and thought taking a class on prayer would provide me with practical things I could apply immediately. Two, the one credit now allows me to trade two 2-credit classes for one 3-credit class either next fall or spring. And with being married next year, I thought one less class would allow for more time at home (or least I hope).

On just the first day, I realized this class came with an added bonus for my personal prayer life, or lack there of. I would be forced to pray. I would have to do that which I complain I do not have enough time for. Both in class and out of class, some of my time would need to be spent praying.

And this is exactly what I need for reasons far beyond the busy schedule about to kick into full gear come the first Monday in February. I need reminding of my dependence upon God. I need focused time of intimacy with my Father. I need my allow submitted to the will of God.

I hope to post a number of these over the next few days, but a quote from our "textbook," A Praying Life (Paul Miller) in the first few pages put this very concept of dependence in front of my face.

We have an allergic reaction to dependency, but this is the state of the heart most necessary for a praying life. A needy heart is a praying heart. Dependency is the heartbeat of prayer.

Clearly I have needs. Not so clear is my inability to meet my own needs. I want to believe I am capable of doing anything and everything on my own. This is why I fail to pray.

It has nothing to do with time. It has nothing to do with the busyness of life. It has nothing to do with exhaustion. It has everything to do with my pride and self-confidence.

Until I realize how helpless I am, I will not cry out "Abba, Father!" And my helplessness is not simply in the moments when I've reached the end of my rope. It's also in the moments when I feel strongest. I am helpless at every moment of every day. I am needy each and every hour.

Once this reality takes root in my heart, I will find the joy, blessing, and gift that prayer actually is for a child of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment