Thursday, January 30, 2014

happy to worry???

Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life...Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
~Matthew 6:25, 34

Do not be anxious about anything
~Philippians 4:6

I do not like these verses. And yes, I just confessed to not liking God's Word.

My anxiety and worry are much more significant in light of them. I like to think my anxiety is a mere character flaw. It is simply part of who I am that I cannot do anything about. Sometimes I even like being anxious. It allows me to be grumpy or stand-offish. It lets me wallow in self-pity. It fixates on everything going wrong. It reinforces me as the center of my life.

It is for this very reason, both Jesus and Paul remove the blinders masking anxiety and worry. They are not character flaws or passed down traits. Anxiety and worry are sin. They are sin I need to confess and repent of. They are the very things that sent Christ to the cross.

When put into this proper perspective, my anxiety is not so cute and harmless. It is far more hideous and destructive. If I included the verses in between Matthew 6: 25 and 34, the emphasis would be on God meeting the needs of His children. Anxiety is a lack of faith in my heavenly Father. It says He either cannot or will not provide for me.

The verses surrounding Paul's words in Philippians 4 would expose anxiety as a lack of contentment as well as thankfulness. If I had these, I would worry less and pray a whole lot more. Again, anxiety is not cute and cuddly.

I realize I do a lot of things in the name of anxiety and worry. Some of the things are obviously destructive: lack of sleep, irritability, laziness, apathy to name a few. Others may appear constructive: saving/not spending money (for fear of not having it later instead of desiring to be a responsible steward), talking with people (as an alternative to prayer), playing it safe (because I fear anything too risky) to name a few.

God's Word does not give us instructions for how to appease our anxiety and worry. Instead, He tells us plainly to put it to death. He tells us to get rid of it altogether. It is damaging to ourselves, but more importantly is an affront to the goodness, faithfulness, sovereignty, and compassion of God. I think it is time I start seeing my worry the same way my Father does.

No comments:

Post a Comment