Saturday, September 12, 2009

what a week and what a God!

Just when I thought things could not get any crazier, the second week of my teaching career ended. Things started off with my car singing her last song leaving me frantically searching for a new mode of transporation. In addition, a number of the young gentlemen in my class had taken advantage of my laid-back approach, and my patience was wearing thin. It seemed like this week would never end. I was frustrated, stressed, and exhausted.

Thankfully, I began rereading the book Unfashionable to get a deeper look into how we, as Christians, are called to live drastically different lives for the sake of the lost. One of the chapters I read explained the need for Christians to be angry people. Not angry at what is being done to them, but angry at what is being done to our God;

"God-centered anger is when you get angry because God has been
dishonored and his ways have been maligned."

I immediately thought this was the answer to my classroom situation. I needed to get angry because these kids were not honoring our God. Then I read this,

"God centered anger is humble...Until you first feel the grief and
anger over your own imperfections, you dare not show grief and anger
over the imperfections of others."

Wow! The problem wasn't necessarily my kids; it was me. I wasn't angry because the kids were not successfully being image bearers of God, I was angry because they weren't following my rules. I took this to heart as I went before the students on Thursday to confess my failures at helping them grow and showing them how through my example. As a result, Friday was one of the better days of the year thus far. I got off my high, self-involved horse to view my students the way God has called me to. I am learning to hate what He hates and love what He loves as I work with these students.

To top it all off, God continued to demonstrate His faithfulness to me. My car came back from the shop running the same way it ran before I broke down last weekend. I am no longer in need of an immediate automotive upgrade, so I can be more patient to find the best deal for my current situation. But to keep my head level and eyes fixed, God has once again demanded my full attention. He has graciously allowed a minor physical ailment to remind me of my weakness and His surpassing strength. Thank God for His amazing grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment